Despite limited travel experience, Sister Lucie not only moved to a foreign country but has managed to find a home away from home in Australia. She passes on her knowledge of Vietnamese culture to some of our younger residents through her work at St Nicholas OOSH Glendale.
“It is a joy for me to be able to share Vietnamese culture with the children,” she says.
Sister Lucie has shown off her national costume and brings to life events such as the Moon Festival and Lunar New Year.
“But Vietnamese food is one of my favourite things to share with the children,” Sister Lucie says.
“I have had the opportunity to cook Vietnamese cuisine with the children during vacation care, including spring rolls and fried rice.
“Cooking and eating together has been a lot of fun for us.”
Please enjoy Sister Lucie’s delicious Vietnamese fried rice; a simple recipe you can cook with your children at home.
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 300g (1½ cups) jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (sesame oil can also be used)
- 1 small onion chopped (green onions can also be used)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1-2 cups ham diced
- 1 cup carrots and peas diced – frozen works great
- 2 eggs beaten
- soy sauce to taste (vegetable powder can also be used)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat vegetable or sesame oil in a wok or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions to the hot oil and stir until clear and light brown.
- Stir in garlic. When garlic is lightly browned, add ham and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add veggies and cook until they are tender.
- Stir in beaten eggs. Cook until eggs are scrambled and firm.
- When rice is done, add to wok and mix in thoroughly. Stir in soy sauce (or vegetable powder), a little at a time. You can always add more, so don't overdo it.
- Serve immediately.
For a "dry" fried rice, steam the white rice a day ahead. After cooking rice, let it cool to room temperature. Place the rice in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge overnight. Add refrigerated rice to the skillet as described in the instructions above.