It came about from ancient celebrations to mark the end of the long winter season and the beginning of spring. It celebrates the earth’s coming back to life and the beginning of the growing cycle.
In our celebrations we have been very busy making our own Chinese New Year craft. On Monday after looking at some pictures of Chinese New Year celebrations, the children had the opportunity to paint what they seen. We had lots of children painting dragons and fireworks.
To continue celebrating the Chines tradition, on Tuesday the children listened to the story of Nian by Janice Staynings. This story sparked an interest in making dragons. So the children were all given the opportunity to create their own dragons.
On Wednesday we made some fried rice. The children assisted in making the rice then when it was ready we had the opportunity to try some. The children enjoyed helping us to cook the fried rice − and enjoyed eating it too!
To conclude our celebrations we will be doing some craft, as it’s the Year of the Rooster, and also making some Chinese drums. The children have shown interest in Chinese New Year this week and seemed to have all learned a great deal about the festival. Below is a copy of our fried rice recipe so you too can make fried rice with your children at home.
RECIPE: Fried rice
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 2 bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 shallots, trimmed and finely sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and leave to cool.
- Heat oil in non-stick wok or large frying pan over medium heat. Add eggs. Swirl over base to form an omelette. Cook for 2 minutes or until set. Transfer to a chopping board. Set aside to cool slightly. Cut into short strips.
- Add bacon to wok. Cook 4 minutes until light golden. Add carrot. Stir fry 1 minute. Add shallots, peas and rice. Cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes. Add egg and soy sauce. Stir until heated through. Enjoy!