The day, organised by CSO Education Officers (Secondary Curriculum), Christine Chapple and Carmel Tapley, saw students from St Joseph’s, Aberdeen, San Clemente, Mayfield, St Clare’s, Taree, St Catherine’s, Singleton, St Mary’s, Gateshead, St Pius X, Adamstown, St Peter’s, Maitland, St Paul’s, Booragul, St Francis Xavier, Hamilton and St Joseph’s, Lochinvar present prepared speeches in front of peers and the judges.
The students were also required to present impromptu speeches where students had five minutes to prepare before presenting. The topics for the speeches were:
- Year 7 – Laughter is the best medicine
- Year 8 – The world would be a better place if
- Year 9 – Today’s teenagers – the world is in good hands
- Year 10 – The greatest gift we can give others is
- Senior – The media has a lot to answer for
Winners of the Secondary Public Speaking competition are as follows:
- A division: Patrick Howlett, St Mary’s Gateshead
- B division: Aston Purdon, St Clare’s Taree
- A division: Olivia Greentree, St Peter’s Maitland
- B division: Lucy Mexon, St Peter’s Maitland
- A division: Georgia Saad, St Clare’s Taree
- B division: Erin Meagher, St Mary’s Gateshead
- A division: Summer Harrison, St Pius X Adamstown
- B division: Jess Law, St Pius X Adamstown
- Luke Strong, St Clare’s Taree
St Mary’s Catholic College, Gateshead, was the overall champion school.
Thank you to all who attended today, and to those who helped to make the day a successful and positive learning experience for all students involved.