The evening began with the Commissioning of the new Director of Schools, Dr Michael Slattery, who pledged his commitment to, and recognition of, the "importance of religious and educational leadership in the schools and the school system in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle".
Presider and Vicar General, Reverend Brian Mascord, presented Michael with symbols to mark this momentous occasion.
The presentation of 25 year Awards and the annual Monsignor Coolahan Awards for Excellence in Education followed the Commissioning.
The Monsignor Coolahan Awards recognise, affirm and celebrate the significant contribution made by the recipients to aspects of excellence in Catholic schooling in the diocese. Recipients are nominated by their peers and the awards highlight the service that is given to their respective communities.
This year's recipients were as follows:
- Outstanding Leadership: Simon Devlin
- Excellence in Teaching Secondary: David Millen
- Excellence in Teaching Primary: Alison Smith
- Excellence in School Support: Frances Bowen
- Excellence in School Support: Deborah Docherty
- Excellence in School Support: Lynnette McMaster
- Excellence in School Support: Mark Stephens
- Excellence in Community: St Joseph's Primary School, Denman
- Excellence in First Five Years of Teaching: Cassandra Piggott
- Excellence in Innovation: Diane Kibble
The Mass was a memorable beginning to another Vivid year in our diocese.
Photographs courtesy of Alyssa Faith and Amanda Skehan.