Schools from across the diocese drew talented athletes from the Upper Hunter, Lakes, Manning, All Saints, North and Central region, each striving for a place to represent the diocese at the NSW Polding event next month.
With record breaking athletes, cheer squads and first place ribbons, the carnival saw students take pride in their sporting abilities and achieve their personal bests.
Harriet Greentree from St John the Baptist, Maitland, broke the diocesan record in the 11yrs 800m event. There were many records broken in the high jump, an event only run at diocesan level for the last two years. Alix O’Bryan from St Catherine’s, Singleton, Roland Ward-Thomas from St Mary’s, Scone, and William Scanes from St Aloysius, Chisholm, broke these records.
Some talented students have made it through to Polding for three or more events. They are:
- Logan Aoake from St Columban’s, Mayfield, for 12yrs 100m, senior 200m & long jump
- Jacob Dempsey from St James’, Kotara South, for 10yrs 100m, junior 200m, discus & long jump
- Poppy Doran from St Joseph’s, Charlestown, for 11yrs 800m, 100m, 200m, high jump & discus
- Jessie Forbes from Our Lady of Victories, Shortland, for junior 100m MC, 200m MC, long jump MC & shot put MC
- Nicholas Horsburgh from St Catherine’s, Singleton, for 10 yrs 100m, junior 200m & shot put
- Eve Keeling from St Columba’s, Adamstown, for 11 yrs 100m, 200m & long jump
- Bella Linton-Hall from St Paul’s, Rutherford, for 11yrs 100m, 200m & long jump
- Riley McInerny from St Patrick’s, Lochinvar, for 10yrs 100m, junior 200m & long jump
- Sienna Newton from St John the Baptist, Maitland, for junior 800m, 200m, long jump & 10yrs 100m
- Matthew Reeves Roach from St Joseph’s, Gloucester, for junior MC 100m & 200m
- Lilliane Samson from St Therese’s, New Lambton, for senior 800m, 200m, long jump & 12yrs 100m
- Darcy Taaffe from St Joseph’s, Merriwa, for junior high jump, 800m & 10yrs 100m.
Next month, over 800 athletes will travel from dioceses around the state including Bathurst, Lismore, Armidale, Wilcannia-Forbes and Broken Bay to take part in the Polding Athletics Championships, hosted by our diocese.
The event is a highlight of our sporting calendar and we love to welcome the children and their families to our diocese.
Photography by Gabrielle Sutherland.