Providing home delivery in place of a sit-down meal doesn’t mean we need to compromise on quality or taste. My uncle Tony, a chef of 37 years, knows how to please a crowd. As with many hospitality workers, Tony was stood down in March but was the first to respond to DARA’s new way of operating. He has been cooking delicious meals that are being delivered directly into the homes of those in need. Go to dara.org.au to register to receive a home-delivered meal.
I am excited to share with you a family favourite dessert. I speak for all the cousins, and DARA’s friends, when I say “nothing beats Tony’s bread and butter pudding”.
Uncle Tony’s Bread and Butter Pudding
8 white bread slices, crust removed
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup dried fruit
apricot jam or marmalade to spread
drizzle of golden syrup, maple syrup or honey
nutmeg and cinnamon, to dust
- Preheat oven to 170C. Spread butter and jam on one side of bread slices.
- Make a single layer of bread in a greased baking dish; leave small gaps between slices. Spread half the dried fruit over the bread and repeat, making a second layer.
- Combine all wet ingredients and sugar and whisk well. Pour over bread.
- Lightly sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg then drizzle your favourite syrup over the top. Place 4 small nobs of butter on top and let sit for 10 minutes to allow the bread to soak.
- Place the pudding dish inside a second pan with hot water. Place both pans in the oven and cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown and raised.
- Serve with fresh fruit and ice cream.