Primary School Athletics
Run, jump, throw – that’s what 1000’s of our students have been doing of late at their school, regional and diocesan athletics carnivals.
Close to 400 athletes competed recently at the Diocesan Primary Athletics Carnival at Hunter Sports Centre Glendale. There were some fantastic results on the day.
It was only the 4th Diocesan carnival where the 1500m had been run so records were chased in this event with Maeve Clifford from St Paul’s Gateshead breaking her own record in the junior girls with a time of 5.30.99.
The Age Champions are:
- 8-10yrs girls Maeve Clifford St Paul’s Gateshead
- 8-10yrs boys Lochlan O’Brien St Joseph’s Charlestown
- 11yrs Girls Matilda Cutfield St James Kotara South
- 11yrs Boys Evan Beacher St Joseph’s Merewether
- 12-13yrs Girls Quin Neyland St Catherine’s Singleton
- 12-13yrs Boys Xavier Hicks St Catherine’s Singleton
- 8-10yrs Multiclass Girls Sienna Compton St Aloysius Chisholm
- 8-10yrs Multiclass Boys Sebastian Stace St Joseph’s East Maitland
- 11yrs Multiclass Boys Caleb Hyslop St Aloysius Chisholm
- 12-13yrs Multiclass Boys Patrick Kelly St Brigid’s Raymond Terrace
A strong team will represent the Diocese at Polding which is being held at Sydney Olympic Park on October 13th.
For a full view of results please go to: https://csnsw.sport/maitland-newcastle/primary/sport/athletics
Photos from the day can be found at: https://csnsw.sport/maitland-newcastle/primary/gallery/2023/athletics
Secondary School Athletics
The Diocesan Secondary Athletics was a great day with over 700 athletes from our 12 high schools competing. A 40 year record that has stood since 1983 in the 15yrs 800m was broken by the talented Madeline Platt from St Paul’s Booragul. The time was 2:26:88. Harriet Greentree from All Saints College Maitland also broke an 800m record. This one has stood since 1989 in the 17+ age category, the time was 2.22.07. Harriet also broke the record in the 17+ 1500m with a time of 4.56.93.
It's a phenomenally impressive age group when 3 students all break a record. Madeline Platt, Aurelia Russell from Lochinvar and Georgia Dunn from Singleton all broke the record in the 15 years 1500m with Aurelia gaining a record time of 4.59.17, Madeline 4.59.64 and Georgia 5.05.17.
Phoebe Doran from St Pius X Adamstown broke her sister Poppy ‘s record in the 16yrs 400m in a time of 1:00:46.
Dixie Conlon from Catherine McCauley Medowie broke her own record in the junior girls triple jump record with a jump of 10.95m as did Ruby Brochtrup from St Joseph’s Aberdeen with a jump of 9.94.
Cooper McKenna from Medowie broke a record in the 12-15 yrs triple jump – 12.10.
The age Champions included:
- 12yrs Shelby Griffis and Phoenix Borja St Bede’s Chisholm
- 13yrs Ruby Brochtrup St Joseph’s Aberdeen and Oliver Dempsey St Pius X Adamstown
- 14yrs Lilly Sutton and Zane Edwards St Bede’s Chisholm
- 15yrs Dixie Conlon Catherine McAuley Medowie and Curtis Mulherin San Clemente Mayfield
- 16yrs Phoebe Doran St Pius X Adamstown and Dylan Kinkade St Clare’s Taree & Harry Klepzig St Paul’s Booragul
- 17+yrs Jessica Love All Saint’s Maitland & Poppy Doran SFX Hamilton and Luke Marco St Joseph’s Aberdeen & Dylan Molloy SFX Hamilton
For a full list of results go to: https://csnsw.sport/maitland-newcastle/secondary/sport/athletics
For anyone wanting to follow the success of our athletics champions NSWCCC is on the 11th September- see csnsw.sport for all results.
Photos from the day can be found at: https://csnsw.sport/maitland-newcastle/secondary/gallery/2023/athletics
Follow mnnews.today on Facebook.