The strong sporting talent from the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese was on show with eight students receiving a Blue Award.
- Emily Whelan from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton for athletics
An outstanding competitor at the NSWCCC Athletics Championships for the last six years, Emily has proven to show exceptional talent in the high jump event. Winning the gold medal for the sixth year in a row in 2017, Emily was also named the NSWSCC Age Champion in the 17 years’ age group and won gold in high jump at the NSW All Schools Championships. Emily is also the current Athletics Australia U/18 High Jump Champion and this year competed in the Commonwealth Youth Games.
- Corey Lamb from St Joseph’s College, Lochinvar for golf
A fine young golfer, Corey placed second in the NSWSCC Strokeplay Championship and the NSW All Schools Strokeplay Championships and was runner up in the NSW All Schools Matchplay Championship in 2017. Corey also won the 36 hole Strokeplay title at the 2017 Pacific School Games and was selected in the Australian Merit Team.
- Bayley Ritchie from All Saints’ College, St Mary’s Campus, Maitland for touch football
Playing extremely well for the NSWCCC over the past two years, Bayley was named co-captain of the NSWCCC open 18's team that competed at the National Youth Touch Football Championships in 2017. Bayley demonstrated great leadership both on and off the field, with his fine ball skills and high work ethic.
- Dakota Thomas from St Paul’s Catholic College, Booragul for netball
As a member of the NSWCCC open netball team in 2017, Dakota was also in the 15 years’ team in 2016 for both NSWCCC and NSW All Schools. Competing at the NSWCCC Athletics Championships for three years, Dakota has not only displayed outstanding defensive skills, but has shown great leadership qualities both on and off the field.
- Rory Walker from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton for hockey
- Eliza Limn from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton for water polo
Two students also received a Bar Award, which is given to those who have previously received a Blue Award and continue to excel in their field.
- Jacob Foy from St Francis Xavier’s College, Hamilton for basketball
- Sam Mudford from St Clare’s High School, Taree for hockey.
Congratulations to all students on their outstanding achievements!