The day, organised by CSO Education Officer (Secondary Curriculum), Carmel Tapley, saw students from San Clemente, Mayfield, St Clare’s, Taree, St Catherine’s, Singleton, St Mary’s, Gateshead, St Pius X, Adamstown, St Peter’s, Maitland, St Paul’s, Booragul and St Joseph’s, Lochinvar present prepared speeches in front of peers and the judges.
The students were also required to present impromptu speeches where students had five minutes to prepare before presenting. The topics for the speeches were:
- Year 7 – Laughter is the best medicine
- Year 8 – Homework is harmful to your health
- Year 9 – The rules of life are
- Year 10 – The greatest gift we can give others is
- Senior – The media has a lot to answer for
Winners of the Secondary Public Speaking competition are as follows:
- A division: Olivia Greentree, St Peter’s Maitland
- B division: Patrick Guthridge, St Clare’s Taree
- A division: Abbey Bourne, St Mary’s Gateshead
- B division: Lily Wetherspoon Mills, St Catherine’s Singleton
- A division: Summer Harrison, St Pius X Adamstown
- B division: Oliver Crawford, St Mary’s Gateshead
- A division: Luke Strong, St Clare’s Taree
- B division: Shaila Dube, St Paul’s Booragul
- Sarah Ward, St Clare’s Taree
St Clare's, Taree, was the overall champion school.
Thank you to all who attended today, and to those who helped to make the day a successful and positive learning experience for all students involved.