Director of Schools, Ray Collins, said the purpose of the Mass “…is for the staff of Catholic schools, the Catholic Schools Office and the members of the Catholic Schools Council to respond “to serve the mission of God in the ministry of Catholic school education".
Prior to the Mass, a ceremony was held to recognise those members of staff who have served Catholic education for 25 years or more.
This is followed by the presentation of the annual Monsignor Coolahan Awards for Excellence in Education. The recipients of these awards are nominated by their peers and the awards aim to highlight the quality service they give to their respective communities.
When receiving the Excellence in Leadership Award, the congregation learnt that through “…sheer hard work, commitment and determination…”, the Principal of St Joseph’s Primary School, Merriwa, Helen Whale, had “…developed a school culture of high expectations where the vision and direction of the school is embraced by all.”
Congratulations to all award recipients.
- Excellence in Leadership: Helen Whale, Principal of St Joseph’s Primary School, Merriwa
- Excellence in Teaching Primary: Jan Bailey, St James' Primary School, Muswellbrook
- Excellence in Teaching Secondary: Callam Howard, St Clare’s High School, Taree
- Support Staff: Sally Jackson, St James' Primary School, Muswellbrook
- Support Staff: Dot Seamer, Holy Spirit Infants School, Abermain
- Excellence in Innovation: Elizabeth Stokes, All Saints College, St Joseph’s Campus, Lochinvar
- Excellence in First Five Years of Teaching: Laura Wells, St Aloysius Primary School, Chisholm
- Excellence in Community: Holy Spirit Infants School, Abermain and Holy Spirit Primary School Kurri Kurri.
You can also read Director of Schools, Ray Collins’ message about the Called to Serve Mass, here.